We are not all ready to do the same thing to save energy but we can all do little steps in the right direction.
I have recently checked and my flat is overheated. I am a person really sensitive to the cold so it is quite an effort, but I have decided I would progressively lower the heating. Not only will it be better for my health, but it is a little step in the right direction!
My bedroom was at 23.5°C!! At this temperature, it is actually not good for my health! Between others it increases risks of stroke but also just dries the room faster. Also, fresher rooms can help sleep better.
I decided I would lower the heater a bit every week. This way, it is a progressive change that I hardly feel and my body has the time to acclimatize slowly.
On most thermostats, there is also a star, or snow flake (but that freezes me just looking at it, so it must be a star). This position means the thermostat will adapt itself to the ideal temperature, increasing or decreasing when needed. It is good, but you need to change this if you are to open the window next to it or it will suddenly heat up full blast!

My thermometre in my bedroom currently reads 22.5°C, still too high, but within a few more weeks that should be ok. And honnestly, till now, I haven't feel any discomfort!
Would you do something like this?
If you do, while taking care of your health, you do save fuel (thus the environment) and money!
What think?
Have a lovely week end!
Blue
*http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/research/energy/downloads/40house/chapter04.pdf

Quick update: difficult to really regulate my thermostat, my flat is badly insulated and any change in the weather will make a huge change in the inside temperatures, my thermostat just doesn't manage to follow!
ReplyDeleteNot that straight forward either: it is now colder outside than yesterday when I lowered my thermostat, but it is actually warmer inside... neighbourgs may have turned their thermostat up to fight... the fresh snow! :)