Today, I am eating meat twice in the same day, that usually doesn't happen. Once a week is a most. Of course, part of this is because meat is far too expensive here, but not only. Ok, I know, we hear that everywhere, that we should not eat meat cause it is no good for the environment. But that is not the only reason why! Indeed, every now and then I come to realize one or another aspect about meat production, and it kind of put me down.
Think about it:
- how many trucks have you seen with these animals piled together in the heat? I know conditions are getting better but I do not think that air conditionned trucks is much better
- I get fed up with the idea that we always have all the best pieces available in the shop shelves. How many animals do we kill so we can have all potentially turn up to the shop and choose the piece we exactly want which could be 1 out of, I don't know, 5 or 6 pieces. What do we do with the rest?
- We complain about hunger in the world, still, we use 7 to 15kg of cereals to get 1kg of beef, imagine how many people we could feed with these 7 to 15kg? For me it is unfair, or I think hunger in the world is terrible and I act against it, or for me I may as well say "they are hungry? too bad for them"!
- Do you know how many liters we need to produce 1kg of beef?... that is 15 000 liters!!! that is huge! For 1kg of cereals, 800liters are needed, that is almost 20times less...
- Cows produce CO2 because of the way they digest...
Right, but you like meat, don't you? So do I! So here is what we can do:
- learn to cook nice tasty vegies dishes, you will feel less often that meat is missing (and when it is then eat some)
- learn to eat the less common pieces of meat (some are delicious!!) and request your butcher to sell them to you, that would be less meat thrown away
- eat rabits: they do not produce as much CO2, reproduce fast and eat all the left-overs
- and buy your meat who has been raised locally, not only will you help local jobs/economy, but it will also stop animals to be carried too far in trucks
Eating meat only once a week is a (not that) small contribution for a better world!
And it is an easy one to do, just call if you want some vegetarian recipes! :)
Blue
Sources: http://terresacree.org/mediter.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?